Thursday, October 28, 2010

Aussie Heat and Cold Thermometers

4 Sleeps to go.
Kangaroo sightings = 0
Racing Journalists = 1 (see The Australian tomorrow)
Love letters from Beccy = 0

Well this is the weather they all talk about down under!

I've cracked out the coconut oil, lathered myself up nicely, and I'm soaking up the rays on the lawn in a deckchair with Bauer and a couple of local ales. Coopers puts Foster's to shame and is a right proper beer for a right proper English gent.

I needed a bit of relaxation after the morning we've had out here. Nightmarish stuff. It seems that Racing Victoria's chief detective Terry Bailey (Tez to his friends) got wind that all was not right down here at the 'Bee and so he and his crack team of vet's and stewards descended on us at 8am for random health checks!

I pleaded with them to let me sleep in as I was going out on the track for a good gallop later in the morning but Tez insisted and sent a very burly nurse named Helga in to check my temperature.

Now I've had a of experience with German women in the past (met a nice German filly in Turkey one afternoon) and I know how loving they can be, but I'm afraid to say Helga was anything but loving. She took to my rear end with her thermometer (ice cold by the way) like she was plunging a blocked drain. Ghastly business, haven't been able to sit comfortably since.

And all healthy by the way, just as I told Tez. I didn't come all the way to Australia to get sick and I could have done without the anal violation but these are the sacrifices one must make if one is to take the Melbourne Cup.

Can't say the same for old Bauer though. It's fair to say that if he'd have been wearing pants he would have been filling them when Tez knocked on his barn door. Stone bruise and a bit of a sore leg you see, trying to lay low until it recovers. Tez gave him the benefit of the doubt but will be back this afternoon - let's hope he doesn't breath test us though as we'd have had a few frothies by then

Not sure what Helga made of Campanologist or his, ahem extra leg, but she was in his stable for some time and left with a smile. Can't imagine why.

Warmest Regards

Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment