Sunday, October 17, 2010

Caulfield Cup Wash Out

So that was the Caulfield Cup....pffft much ado about nothing as far as I'm concerned!

Old Bauer and I settled into the beanbags to watch the day's racing on TVN. We created a bit of a gentlemen's club and invited those boys in blue from Godolphin over for a drink and a smoke but they declined - clean living lads apparently, no drink, no smoke, no women - my God how do they live??!!

Anyway so old Bauer and I settled in without those Arabian chaps and broke out some very nice Cubans that Willy mailed over in a care package for me. My God I was glad that we were warm and comfortable in very civilised surrounds because it looked as though Medici, Tokai, and the other lads were having a devil of a time what with the wind and rain and all at Caulfield.

The locals were complaining about the weather as if the seven horsemen of the Apocalypse were arround the corner - what absolute sissies! Now I'm the last horse to want to go ploughing through mud and slush but these Aussies were whinginga and whining and carrying on like they'd never seen rain - they ought to come over for a Cheltenham festival and see how tough the log jumpers do it in our neck of the woods!

And what about that Gai Waterhouse? Lovely lady and obviously a woman of real class and proper upbringing but my God can she talk! Poor old Bauer reckons he was stuck with her at trackwork one morning when he was last in town and she talked, and talked, and talked, after half an hour without a breath he became sort of hypnotised by her voice - how on earth I will never know, a bit high pitched for hypnotism I'd of thought.

I say she knows a thing or two about racing and that Spanish fellow Descarado obviously enjoys her company, but how they ever put up with her yabbering is beyond me - my ears are still ringing!

So after watching the race with a few brandys under our belt Bauer and I were getting rather merry and we decided that we both very much like our chances in the Melbourne Cup. If the Caulfield Cup is the best lead in to the race I don't think that we have much to worry about - that fat roly-poly chap named Shocking (reminds me a little of the fat controller actually) ran a decent enough race but how is he going to cope when old Blue puts him to the sword at the furlong pole? Poor fellow, he could hardly get past that dirty frog Manighar and I've towelled up that snivelling Frenchman on any number of occasions! Ah yes, I'm getting more confident as the big day draws nearer...

Well before I sign off for the night and jump into bed I must explain my Tweet from late last week. I've had any number of emails about that particular tweet and yes I'll confirm it now, Illustrious Blue is in love!

I've been swept off my feet, entranced, and generally gobsmacked by a gorgeous little filly staying just across the way...I'll reveal more later this week...

Until next time

Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment